[Framework-Team] Re: ploneenv - Or how using workingenv for a common Zope2 project might look like ;-)

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Sun Feb 4 10:59:38 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> I'm obviously for ploneenv/workingenv.
>
> I'm obviously a bit biased towards the buildout based approach since I
> worked on it, but I worked on it because I was never very happy with the
> way workingenv-in-instances worked. ploneenv makes that better and
> slicker, actually, and I quite like it.

I'm not really for or against anything here. My main reason to work on
ploneout has been that our current general approach of handling eggs in
Zope instances (which is not to use them at all, but use a plone3-libs
bundle) annoyed me, especially since I saw that Whit already had some
nice code in wicked relying on entry-points but had to remove it again,
as we have no advertised way that makes it easy to setup an instance
with properly installed eggs.

As I already knew how to handle workingenv, I thought I'd bring
zc.buildout to the table and realized that we would only be able to
discuss about it for real, if it would be able to actually build us a
working Plone 3 environment, hence ploneout was born...

One reason why I like ploneout is that my MacBook's monitor is partially
damaged and I'll have to live without it for some weeks once I send it
into repair. For those weeks I'll use a different (Windows) machine at
work and need a way to get my development environment up and running,
preferably in the same way I'm already used to and would prefer it not
having to spent too much time on it. I'd guess this is not a good
argument in general ;)

> Ultimately, I think we are arguing preferences and taste. The main lever
> for all of this is eggs (which we all love, of course :-)) and both
> approaches basically depend on eggs and setuptools as much as possible.

Yep, for instance I never liked the way a Zope instance currently looks
like and so in return have no problems to get used to a different
layout, others may have different preferences here.

After all I think we are making very good progress in exploring
different kinds of setting up our development environments. The one
thing we can probably agree on, is that we need something better than
the current plone3-libs bundle ;)

Hanno