[Framework-Team] ploneenv - Or how using workingenv for a common Zope2 project might look like ;-)

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 20:55:14 UTC 2007

ploneenv is a one module Python script that builds heavily on workingenv and
setuptools.  What it does:

  - It creates a Zope instance for you.  You always provide the
    ``mkzopeinstance.py`` script that you want to use as an argument.
    E.g.::

       ploneenv ~/myzopeinstance \
           --mkzo=~/lib/Zope-2.10/bin/mkzopeinstance.py

  - It creates a workingenv in the Zope instance for you.

  - It installs the *Plone egg* by default.  However, you could just
    as well install something else in your new Zope instance.
    ploneenv is not Plone specific.

Please find the complete intro here:
http://danielnouri.org/blog/devel/zope/ploneenv-intro.html

Part of this project is the Plone egg, which is a way to install Plone doing
``easy_install Plone``.

ploneenv is a work in progress, however it works!  There is no Windows
support yet, though this should be trivial to add.  Plus, it spits a lot of
useless warnings (trying to compile Python scripts in skins/).  I might have
to take out the PIL dependency for now because I'll probably retract this:
http://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/12150

Once you guys tell me where to put this on svn.plone.org, I'll move it
there.  I would suggest svn.plone.org/svn/Plone for the Plone egg, however,
some people might find this confusing I guess.

For those of you that are confused about this and ploneout: ploneenv is an
*alternative* and arguably more light-weight approach to setting up a Plone
3.0 instance.  However, both approaches have their pros and cons.

Daniel