[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 3.0 product deployment

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 19:28:19 UTC 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> It is very interesting. What worries me a bit is how we eggify the
> existing products. Perhaps we need a script to do that. It would almost
> certainly introduce breakage of a lot of svn:externals, since the svn
> layout is different. We'd also depend on Zope (e.g. PAS) and CMF
> products doing this.
>
> If it's something we want to do, we need to do it fairly quickly.

For now, the Plone egg is one big ball that contains all required
"old-style" Products in its Products namespace.  In its devel variant, it
mostly pulls in stuff via svn:externals.  I think it would be acceptable to
have one CMF egg and one Plone egg (containing the rest of the Products
requirements) until everyone lays their own egg.

> Also, if products are eggs, are they still automatically found (and
> their ZCML processed) at start-up?

Yes, it works.  Of course, the testrunner is (still) not happy with it.

> I do love Daniel's idea of a Plone egg, so that you could easy_install
> Plone and be done with it. :)

I'll be releasing it soonish.

Daniel