[Framework-Team] Plone 3.0 product deployment

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Feb 3 19:09:38 UTC 2007

I realize Plone 3.0 will ship with both packages and old-style products.
Recently I wrote a proposal that should alleviate this problem by making
it possible to deploy products as eggs [1]. I thought that this would
become relevant only for Plone 3.5.

Now Daniel Nouri made me aware that you can already deploy products as
eggs. In fact, you can already deploy products into lib/python, as long
as lib/python/Products/__init__.py contains a namspace package
declaration (in the setuptools sense,
pkg_resources.declare_namespace('Products')). That means that Plone 3.0
can at least ship as *one* tarball for lib/python (in which all the
traditional products are in such a 'Products' namespace package). I
think that's great news, especially for the traditional deployment route
of downloading a tarball.

It also means that Plone 3.0 would also be installable as eggs, given
that somebody would make eggs out of the existing products and the CMF.
That's mostly mechanical work, however. Hence, an installation via
zc.buildout (using somethinglike ploneout) isn't so far fetched, and you
wouldn't even need a special recipe to install products -- you'd just
use the egg recipe.

I thought I'd run this by you guys. Daniel might have even more to say.

Philipp

[1]
http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/EggifyingZopesExtensionMechanismQuotProductsQuot

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5