[Framework-Team] Re: preliminary results for PLIP selection & call for votes!

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Mon Dec 24 20:45:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 6:36 PM, Ricardo Newbery <ric at digitalmarbles.com> wrote:
> Thanks again Sidnei,
>
> [note to framework list:  let me know if I should take this
> discussion off list]
>
> Maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be any reason
> to return a 404 (Not Found) or 403 (Forbidding) response.  Why not
> just silently discard the offending files, along with the
> configuration directive option?  Should be simpler to code.

I have tried that approach and it failed in the past. If we behave
like the file has been succesfully created but just plain discard it,
Finder will expect it to be there, and if it get a 404 for a file that
was just created and it really expected to exist, it fails miserably.
Of course that could have changed in later versions of Finder. Sending
the 404/403 upfront is a saner and simpler approach which doesn't
break expectations on either side, IMO, and is more likely to work.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214