[Framework-Team] Official submission: PLIP 184, 200, 203 and 204

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Dec 23 22:36:30 UTC 2007

Ho ho ho,

I'd like to officially submit for consideration for Plone 3.1 a bundle
that comprises the following PLIPs (in separate packages):

  - PLIP 184 - additional portlets (has a dependency on PLIP 200)

  - PLIP 200 - Kupu formlib widget

  - PLIP 203 - Portlet assignments and blocking GenericSetup handlers

  - PLIP 204 - Content Rules GenericSetup handlers

To make it easier for me to manage (and hopefully also easier for you to
test), I've put these into a single buildout, based on
plone.recipe.plone 3.0.4:

https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/review/optilude-plipathon-184-200-203-204

I've tried to clearly note what packages belong to which PLIP (though it
should be pretty obvious). I've also chosen to branch CMFPlone to ensure
that it all "just works". I've noted down in the review notes where the
changes in CMFPlone are, and I've also included comments in the code in
the few places I've made changes to CMFPlone, referencing the PLIPs in
each case.

To get the review bundle, please do:

  $ svn cp
https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/review/optilude-plipathon-184-200-203-204

  $ cd optilude-plipathon-184-200-203-204
  $ python boostrap.py
  $ ./bin/buildout

The buildout has svn:externals in src/ and products/ to point to the
relevant implementation branches.

The file REVIEW-NOTES.txt[1] gives an overview of each of the PLIPs and
which packages to consider for each PLIP, though I hope in the event
it's fairly obvious. I've noted down which tests to look at as well,
where applicable.

I'm unlikely to make major changes to these branches from now on, unless
I get some input from you guys or the community. The main question mark
is over how we handle portlet assignment and blocking *export*, which
I've put to a question over on the dev list. Implementing and testing
export should be easy enough, if we deem it desirable and decide how to
deal with some inherent performance problems.

I have two further PLIPs to my name: 201 (UberSelectionWidget) and 202
(inline formlib validation and editing with KSS). I'll be working on
those over the next couple of weeks, but they will in any case be
bundled up into separate review buildouts (since 200, 201 and 202 all
involve touching plone.app.form, albeit in different places).

Cheers, and merry Christmas :)

Martin

[1]
http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/review/optilude-plipathon-184-200-203-204/REVIEW-NOTES.txt