[Framework-Team] PLIP184 - additional portlets

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sun Dec 23 11:47:15 UTC 2007

Geir Bækholt · Jarn wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2007, at 01:31 , Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> The PLIP also mentions a better RSS portlet. I won't be able to do
>> that, but rumour is that Wichert has done it in the "feedmixer"
>> portlet already. Is that correct? If not, do we have any other
>> volunteers?
>

> Feedmixer is a better RSS portlet, and should cover most usecases. It
> aggregates multiple feeds to one (and includes a "more…" listing.) ,
> but you can easily cover the simple usecase of a single feed as well.
This is what I send to Martin earlier:

    Feedmixer is not a 'better' portlet (even if its implementation
    actually is better). Feedmixer serves a different purpose: a portlet
    and page that shows data aggregated from multiple feeds. That is
    quite different than what the standard RSS portlet does: that makes
    it extremely easy to add a portlet for a single feed. The use cases
    differ enough to warrant
    separate portlets.

    The main problem people have with the current RSS portlet is that it
    does not work for anonymous users, or it only works as long as there
    are authenticated users active as well. I fixed that in svn a while
    ago but that hasn't made it into a release yet.

based on that we'll keep feedmixer as a separate product.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.