[Framework-Team] PLIP #199 : Integration of ARFilePreview in Plone core (preview of office and other binary files)

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Sat Dec 22 09:25:44 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:40 PM, Thierry Benita wrote:
> Hi,

hi thierry, jean-nicolas,

> I propose to include the File Preview feature in next plone release.
> It is a non intrusive feature that doesn't need to migrate anything in
> order to work out of the box.
>
> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/199

i'm -1 on including this into a 3.x release, since it doing it right —
imho, of course — depends on a number of 4.0 features, i.e.
plone.transforms, blob support and asynchronous event handling.  i
think all of these are required to avoid potential performance
problems, both time- and memory-wise.  however, as i do like the
feature and don't think it'd be much code[1] nor too heavy[2] i'd be
fine with integrating this into 4.0.

cheers,

andi

[1] it's just an integrational package after all
[2] we've got image scales as well, so using zodb blobs should be no
problem provided the previews can be deactivated

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de