[Framework-Team] A question about bundles and PLIP 203

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Dec 20 23:51:36 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

I have two, somewhat related questions:

  - For pretty much all of my PLIPs, I'll be changing one package only.
I suspect many Plone 3.1 PLIPs will be the same. I can obviously create
a buildout (copying ploneout/branches/3.0 and changing the svn:externals
in src/ to point to my branch), but this will quickly lead to a ton of
buildouts, the majority of which will be very similar.

How do you feel about a "lite" review bundle that basically is just an
instruction like "Use ploneout 3.0 branch and svn switch
src/plone.app.portlets to the following URL"? Perhaps it's a good
alternative for you guys in cases where there's only one package that's
changed?

  - PLIP 203 makes it possible to register portlets using
plone.app.portlets. I'd say that if and when it's accepted, we should
use this for Plone's own portlets (in portlets.xml), to save some Python
code in setuphandlers.py.

However, I'd prefer to do this after the PLIP has been merged. It's a
zero-risk thing: if we don't get around to it, the current setup will
work just fine and users will never notice the difference. It just saves
me managing yet another branch and saves you reviewing and merging yet
another branch. IMHO, branching CMFPlone should be avoided if possible,
since this quickly leads to a merge headache or things drifting out of
synch in review bundles. What do you prefer?