[Framework-Team] Re: PLIPs for 3.1

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Fri Dec 14 12:40:06 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Andreas Zeidler wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> 1. http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/184 - Ship additional
>> portlets
>
> +1 as this is purely add-on functionality and contains no risks
> other than maybe confusing users if done in a non-intuitive way.
> having that said i think the "use document as portlet" approach
> makes sense, since it would save us from a lot of extra code or
> duplication.  an easy way to turn a "page" or even an arbitrary
> content item into a portlet and thereby (optionally) hide it from
> the navigation and folder listing would be great to have, although
> the latter, i.e. the generic assignment, might require too many
> changes for 3.1.

having finally worked my way through that (very interesting) thread,
i'd like to slightly revise my reply in saying that i'm +1 for
including the "simple" solution, and -1 on the "referenced content
portlet".  that's because i think this should — as mentioned before —
be approached in a more generic way and hopefully make it into 4.0.
introducing such a portlet now just to completely obsolete it again
for 4.0 would be confusing and therefore doesn't really make sense to
me.

however, if martin has code ready for this, or nearly ready, it could
of course be turned into a possibly very helpful add-on for the time
being.

cheers,

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de