[Framework-Team] PLIP #209: Add buildout to Unified Installer

Raphael Ritz raphael.ritz at incf.org
Fri Dec 14 07:53:40 UTC 2007

Steve McMahon wrote:
> Please consider PLIP #209:
>
> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/209
>
> for Plone 3.1 The proposal is to provide a version of the Unified
> Installer that builds the base Python, but then uses buildout for the
> final steps. The would replace the existing Unified Installer, which
> is based on the traditional tarball installation approach.

being a happy buildout user myself and having burned
my fingers with the installer in the past I'm definitively

+1

on that. What's more: I als tohink this is the only sane
way to support egg-based, third-party add-ons.

And while we are at this:
Maybe we should add some information to the setup
configlet where we show the ZOPEHOME and such.
How about adding the path to the Python that's
used and the egg directories etc.
The intention being that people should have an easy
way to figure out where the code lives they are
running.

Just thinking out loud and sorry Steve for abusing
your PLIP for bringing this up. This is not meant to
be a critique of your proposal.

Raphael