[Framework-Team] PLIP #212: Use jQuery Javascript Library

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Fri Dec 14 06:37:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 9:27 AM, Florian Schulze <florian.schulze at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Framework Team!
>

> This is the other PLIP I want to propose besides #213. Martijn did all the
> hard work for it already.
>
> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/212

Just a comment from a non-FT member.  I think the work done for this
PLIP is great, and the simplification of the js code (less to
maintain) is very important.  However, I'm a bit disappointed that
it's not using KSS stylesheets to do the bindings, but instead using
jQuery directly.  We originally had one official way to do event
bindings (registerPloneFunction and friends), then we introduced KSS
which gave us a unified location to put bindings in a nice declarative
syntax.  Now instead of promoting the new way, we're adding a third
way (and reimplementing the first to use the third internally).  Why
aren't we unifying all of these?

KSS is currently using base2 internally for bindings, which is
apparently significantly faster than the jQuery mechanism (though as
Florian points out in another thread, jQuery is adopting some of those
optimizations).  Having all of our js bindings in one place also makes
it easier to change the underlying implementation when necessary, and
presents a clearer picture to developers and integrators.
Additionally, some of these js functions are potentially very reusable
(e.g., the collapsible sections).  If they were registered as KSS
actions and bound using KSS, it would make it much easier for
integrators and skin developers to see what is available for reuse and
how to reuse them.

I don't think this concern is enough to warrant rejecting the PLIP,
but I think it would be great if someone would take that extra step to
simplify our js story further.

Alec