[Framework-Team] Re: PLIPs for Plone 3.1 - Flexibility with Portlet Managers / Types

George Lee georgeleejr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:23:28 UTC 2007

George Lee <georgeleejr at ...> writes:

> One motivation behind #207 is that with the current registration proceudre,
> some portlets such as the Calendar will be available in every new portlet
> column. An alternative way to handle this issue is by using PLIP to #205
> register portlets like the calendar for IColumn and IDashboard. Unlike #205
> and #207 though this proposal may break backward compatibility.

Clarification - it wouldn't break backward compatibility with a typical Plone
setup, but if a third-party product has registered a new portlet manager that
does not provide either interface IColumn or IDashboard, then it would change
the portlets available to it.  Despite this, I actually think it would be best
to explicitly register portlets like the calendar portlet for IColumn and
IDashboard rather than relying on the current convention -- that if a portlet is
registered for None, it appears in all portlet managers.

Peace,
George