[Framework-Team] Re: Two more PLIPs

Danny Bloemendaal danny.bloemendaal at informaat.nl
Thu Dec 13 12:23:06 UTC 2007

On 13 dec 2007, at 12:51, Laurence Rowe wrote:

> Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
>>

>> I truely think that this isn't as trivial as it may seem. Is it
>> only a UI issue? I know plone relies on several locations for the
>> review_state attribute. What if an object has several states (which
>> is possible if you have multiple workflows assigned)? Aren't there
>> configlets that allow you to do things with this attribute like the
>> navtree? What about worklists? I think that when we agree that an
>> object can have more than one states, we have to support it
>> everywhere in a concise way. I want to see a list of all the
>> locations and situations where this may be an issue. Is the code
>> truely multiple-state/transition aware? It's not only changing
>> content_status_modify in my opinion. The state change drop-down
>> should also show that there are more workflows and perhaps group
>> the transitions per-state.
>> So, my point is: we either do it right or we don't do it at all :)
>> And for now: +0
>> Danny.
>
> We already do it, just not very well ;-) In 3.0 it works so long as
> you keep your transition ids unique across workflows. Catalogued
> workflow variables are calculated so that the first in the chain
> takes precedence, so nothing breaks here.
>
> Are worklists still used in Plone? They are a per workflow feature
> of DCWorkflow anyway, so are not affected.

I don't think so. But I more mean things like portlets, various
interfaces where you can pick a wf-state etc. You don't want to not
show-up a set of wf-states in one location while in other places you
can see them.

> Workflow actions are already grouped as the actions are calculated
> sequentially from workflows. It would be nice to have a separator
> and a workflow title shown too, but I'm not sure what this should
> look like UI wise. How about this?
>
> -----------
> Workflow 1
> Submit
> Approve
> -----------
> Workflow 2
> Confirm
> Reject
> Advanced...

Something like that or perhaps another expand level in the menus.

Also, something that came to my mind is that the workflow configlet
has to be aware of this as well. I'm not sure what the problems may be
but it allows you to reassign new states to objects if you switch to
another workflow.

Danny.