[Framework-Team] Re: new KSS versions

Florian Schulze florian.schulze at gmx.net
Thu Dec 13 10:23:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:03:03 +0100, Balazs Ree
<ree at ree.hu> wrote:

> Dear Framework Team,
>
> we submitted the following plip:
>
> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/215
>
> We suggest to use the following new kss package versions for Plone 3.1:
>
> kss.core
>
> New kss.core version 1.4, currently on trunk, will be ready to be
> released in January. At the moment the code is testable on trunk.
>
> Key improvements that come with the new version are:
>
>     * faster page load with base2
>     * syntax improvements, eg. recursive value providers, comma
> separated  selectors

The last one "comma separated selectors" is important IMO and makes for
smaller and more readable kss files.

As already pointed out in this thread, base2 and jQuery are almost
interchangeable for their selector capability. AFAIK both are really fast
and especially error free. I also heard jQuery is beginniung to
incorporate speed improvements from base2. Anyway, in KSS it's just a few
lines of code to switch and it can be done automatically by checking which
one is loaded. One thing just occured to me. I think jQuery tends to use
XPath like selector syntax instead of CSS3 in some special cases, for kss
files it would be desireable to be as CSS3 like as possible, so this
should also be a consideration.

Regards,
Florian Schulze