[Framework-Team] review bundle for PLIP 195 ready

Raphael Ritz raphael.ritz at incf.org
Mon Dec 10 10:52:36 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

[..]

> There are enough utility methods to figure that out: QI has some methods
> to determine which GS profile belongs to a package and GS can give you
> the list of dependencies for a profile.

But it can only do so if the product/add-on author has
formalized the dependencies appropriately.
As of now, I don't think we can rely on that.

Example: I have several products which rely on
ATExtensions. Some - but not all - take care in
their install/profile to declare or check for that.

It can easily happen how that GS/QI could "think"
it would be safe to remove ATExtensions while
in fact it is not.

You may of course say that a product that doesn't
declare it's dependencies correctly (whatever that
is) is broken but as of now we don't even ship the
GS dependency support with Plone so it might be
a bit too early to require add-on authors to support
a yet-to-be-included feature.

In the long run I do agree that we need to get that
sorted out.

Just my 2 cents.

Raphael