[Framework-Team] Community workflow and plone workflow

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Apr 29 18:08:24 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

We've determined that removing plone_workflow won't work - it breaks too
many tests, which make silly, implicit assumptions about the default
workflow.

However, we don't want this to be the default on freshly created Plone
sites, because it is not appropriate for most sites - particularly now
that we turned of member folder creation by default. Alex just found a
number of security/access control related bugs which make the OOTB user
experience a bit painful (basically, only admins can add content on a
freshly created site at the moment, which is silly). Therefore, I've
switched the default, but invoked a hidden 'testfixture' extension
profile in Products.CMFPlone.tests.PloneTestCase.

Note that other packages which make workflow assumptions can get this by
passing extension_profiles=['Products.CMFPlone:testfixture'] to
setupPloneSite().

I expect we may find a few more of these assumptions. I'd rather they
were fixed, but for now we have a workaround. I've run

  $ zopectl test -s plone

as well as the CMFPlone and ATContentTypes tests and fixed what I found.
  There are some failures around, but most of them have been there for a
while and hopefully the relevant people know.

Anyway, Alex also made the point that plone_workflow and
community_workflow are virtually identical. It's pretty much impossible
to remove plone_workflow at this stage, but we *can* change its title to
be "Community workflow".

Is there a reason to keep both around, or can we just merge the two?