[Framework-Team] Re: NuPlone and Plone 3.0

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Apr 4 09:29:16 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> > - Decide based on how ready it seems to be whether it should be the
> > default in the RCs.
>
> It certainly won't become the default anymore. We're in full
> bugfixing-only mode now and a change like that is too big.

I think given current timelines, the size of the collector and the
state of NuPlone last time I looked at it, that's a wise decision. For
example, I was fixing portlet visual bugs. The portlets management
page had (is?) not yet been styled as part of NuPlone and I never gave
it much testing.

My point is, at the moment, during the time when we need to be closing
down bugs, people are not testing with NuPlone, which means that if we
suddenly switch, we may get a swathe of new visual bugs that would
introduce a lot of risk. I don't think we can make a switch of the
default look-and-feel without at least one beta to follow it, and the
usual time delay between betas/rcs would still apply.

Given how integral the look-and-feel is to Plone's user experience, I
think it's important not to rush into it. Having to start most issue
resolutions with "as a workaround, switch back to the old default
Plone skin..." would leave a bad taste in users' mouth and would
probably make people hostile to NuPlone in particular if not Plone in
general.

At the same time, I think it's very important that the great work
that's been done with NuPlone gets exposure and momentum. NuPlone is
in the bundle now, and is part of what we've shipped in beta. It has
bugs, the bugs should be fixed. NuPlone is an important testament to
how we should encourage people to do skinning, proof that we can make
Plone look different, and hopefully (probably) a part of our future
default look-and-feel.

So, fix it, ship it, make it easy to install, make it clear we believe
in it and will probably make it the default, but don't do so right now
for 3.0. All IMHO.