[Framework-Team] PLIP145 Locking - Review

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 26 10:29:29 UTC 2006

Helge Tesdal schrieb:

Hello again,

> We need to continue the good discussion about the details and
> challenges here, just keep in mind that this isn't personal in any way.

I didn't take that personally. Sorry if my response might have come across
like that.
> One problem I see is that it might not be clear about what we're
> voting about. Are we voting on a merge of the current implementation
> as is, or are we voting on the PLIP and functionality, and considering
> the current implementation more as a prototype to be reimplemented
> (which is feasible in this case due to the limited amount of code)? My
> reasoning has been closer to the latter, but I could probably have
> been more explicit about it.

Very good point! It's actually related to a more general observation
I've made myself while reviewing.
It appears to me that we have at least three (or more) critical PLIPs
whos adoption (or not) has impact on more or less everything else:

1. the move to CMF-2.1 and

2. the AJAX/Bling/KSS stuff and

3. the portlets/viewlets story

Point 1 includes first and foremost the introduction and adoption of
events and the move to GenericSetup while 2 and 3 have impact on
more or less anything that's UI related.

Given that, we might actually want to consider making decisions
this time as a two-step process by first deciding on those critical
infrastructural issues, doing their merge in case of acceptance
as soon as possible and then letting plip authors know that this
is now what to build upon and to update their plip bundles
to reflect this then if needed.

Just a thought.

    Raphael