[Framework-Team] PLIP145 Locking - Review

Helge Tesdal tesdal at plonesolutions.com
Mon Sep 25 22:42:52 UTC 2006

1. Overview
===========
PLIP145 Locking

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/145

2. Test setup
=============
I wasn't actually able to test the review bundle now with Zope 2.10 from
SVN, so I'm basing this review on the demonstration during Archipelago
sprint and looking at code.

3. How does it work
===================
When editing content, an event is fired, and an event handler sets a
WebDAV lock to prevent concurrent editing. When editing ends or is
cancelled, an event is fired, and an event handler removes the WebDAV
lock. I believe you can also remove stale locks.

4. State of code
================
Implemented using view, events and event handlers. Not a lot of code (or I
missed some code), fairly easy to get an overview of and modify.

5. Suggested improvements
=========================
This needs to be made compatible and aware of iterate. Event naming
conventions has to be harmonized with iterate. Furthermore, it should not
be possible to easily remove the lock set by iterate on the published
content (or locks set by any other applications for that matter). Check
the comments section of the PLIP page for specifics.

6. Recommendation
+1 to including this in Plone 3 - provided the suggested improvements are
done.

--
Helge Tesdal
Plone Solutions