[Framework-Team] Re: hard dependency on PIL?

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 13 09:40:53 UTC 2006

Wichert Akkerman schrieb:
> Previously Alec Mitchell wrote:
>> It's not possible to start Plone if PIL is not installed currently
>> (due to the member image fix).  PIL is included in all the installers
>> AFAIK, and is a package in every distro I've known.  So installing PIL
>> is generally as easy as installing python (whether you use your distro
>> packages or sompile from source).  It can also be as easy as doing:
>>
>> easy_install -f http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ Imaging
>
> That is actually not true: the success of that command is bound to be
> highly dependant on the development packages of the various graphic
> toolks you have installed.

that's what I meant by saying earlier that PIL isn't necessarily
trivial to install. But anyway, I consider my original question
answered: it wasn't introduced on purpose in the first place but
now that a security-related issue depends on it anyway (the
portrait checking) people are willing to accept this.

So we live with it from now on.

Raphael