[Framework-Team] first comments on plip 148 (moving to CMF 2.1)

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 12 10:38:27 UTC 2006

Hello again,

this is just a service to those of you who do not follow the svn/plone
commits ;-)

2006-09-12  Raphael Ritz (r.rtiz at biologie.hu-berlin.de)

  My test set-up: Python 2.4.3, Zope 2.10.0b2 release on Linux (FC5)

  First impression: excellent work Hanno

  Issues noticed so far:

    - there is a hard dependency on PIL in CMFPlone/utils.py
      Do we really want that?

  Furthermore, there are some deprecation warnings where I'm not sure
  whether they could be avoided. For testing, what I did was to join
  as a new user, log in, create a news item including an image,
  submitting it for review and publishing it as site manager then.
  This is what I noticed from watching the log:

    - Is it really necessary for AT/ATCT to still use the deprecated
      "manage_*" hooks instead of proper event subscribers?
      If the plan really is to also support Zope 2.11 with Plone 3.0
      this will cause trouble.

    - /extra2/sites/plip-reviews/148/Products/CMFCore/TypesTool.py:680:
      DeprecationWarning: TypeInformation.listContentTypes(by_metatype=1)
      is deprecated.

      Where does that come from? Should be easy to fix though as an
      explicit specification of a content filter in a call to
      content{Ids|Values|Items} or whatever might have caused that
      should get rid of it.

    - /extra2/Zope-2.10.0-b2/lib/python/zope/tal/talinterpreter.py:754:
      DeprecationWarning:*** *** Insertion of non-unicode non-ascii text
      in TAL is deprecated and will be broken in Plone 4.0 !!!

       '<h2>Hier was \xc3\xbcber mich:</h2>\n ...

       text = unicode(structure)

       This was caused by entering a German text containing an Umlaut
       into the body of a news item. Couldn't that be done just right?
       (I know that that's potentially asking for much, i.e., to change
       Plone/AT's policy with respect to encoding/unicode handling but
       sooner or later we have to face it anyways.)

  What would be really nice to have for our add-on developers:

    - a hands-on, fool-proof guide on how to update 3rd-party products
      for Plone 3.0. In particular this should contain (pointers to)
      instructions on supporting and using GenericSetup and the new
      style action handling. I'm sure Hanno has gained much experience
      on this by doing it for Plone/AT/ATCT so he should be in an
      excellent position to sum that up ;-)

    - An just in passing: is there really no sane way to fix
      'installTypes' from Archetypes.Extensions.utils?
      This will break **a lot** of 3rd-party products!

  Somewhat off topic here:

    - there is actually one issue that worries me quite a bit at the
      moment but I don't think it has anything particular to do with this
      Plip. To see what I mean, install the plip bundle (or the current
      Plone dev bundle), make a plone site, visit it in ZMI, go to
      portal_skins, select a template like 'main_template',
      'prefs_install_products_form', 'table_view', or 'atct_topic_view'.
      Note the error when trying to 'customize' one of these::

         Macro expansion failed
         exceptions.KeyError: 'scripts'

      It does not happen for all templates but I'm sure more are
      affected by this. I have not been able to debug this yet but
      I assume at the moment that this is due to Zope 2 switching to
      the Zope 3 TAL engine. Others please correct me if I'm wrong.

  Summary for now: I think it is no question that this PLIP has to be
  accepted as otherwise we would not catch up with our underlying
  framework (the CMF). I consider it ready for merge as soon as there
  is enough confidence in a 2.1 release of the CMF itself (at least an
  alpha out). The only open question I see is whether we really want to
  make PIL a hard dependency.