[Framework-Team] Re: Error starting 3.0 bundle

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Oct 16 07:39:12 UTC 2006

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Alexander Limi wrote:
>> I'd appreciate it if you could replace my comment "Not sure why this split
>> is necessary, but I'm sure somebody can explain it" in the readme with a
>> rationale, and whether it is temporary or not.
>
> As a first shot: it is not temporary. In fact we will see more and more
> products moving away from Products and becoming normal python packages.
> This means that they need to be installed in another location: either in
> INSTANCE/lib/python or on a global python path. It does bring a number
> of advantages:
>
>  * it makes it much easier to (re)use packages outside of Zope. This is
>    important since we are trying to make everything more generic so it
>    can easily be used in other environments.
>
>  * it allows us to use the full power of setuptools to manage packages.
>    This means we can ship products in the form of python eggs, install
>    them with a single easy_install command with automatic handling of
>    dependencies, etc.
>
> This transition is going to take a while, and during that period we will
> have a mix of both old-style Zope Products and new-style python
> packages.

You could call it temporary in that Zope will hopefully get better at
development eggs and therefore render a weaved-together bundle like this
obsolete (instead, you'd have a bundle with eggs and then you'd
easy_install each one). To be honest, I find the bundle fairly
convenient though, just co and ln into lib/python.