[Framework-Team] PLIP review overview

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Oct 5 08:12:54 UTC 2006

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> >  PLIP 171 - KSS / Azax to Plone
> >
> >   KSS/Azax are well designed and have very active developers. It is
> >   designed
> >   with developers in mind instead of copying patterns used by other
> >   frameworks.
> >   A sprint including non-azax developer has already happened, showing
> >   there is
> >   a very active group of people supporting this framework. Considering
> >   Bling
> >   has not seen much activity lately and its bundle does not work this
> >   looks
> >   like the best choice.
>
> I was hoping to get a bit more feedback on what people think of the code
> in 'azax' and the JS in 'kukit' (bundled as part of azax), in terms of
> risk and maintainability. Then we should force a vote.

This does need some more disucssion, but I also considered it important
to at least give some signal to indicate in which direction the
consensus seems to be going. It might even get Ben to fix the Bling
bundle...

> >PLIPs not yet reviewed
> >----------------------
> >  PLIP 119 - Contextual help portlet
>
> This is mine, and I've kind of let the ball drop. The general state is
> that the design is pretty good, but it's not ready and most likely won't
> be unless someone steps up because David is very short of time these days.
>
> >  PLIP 125 - Ensuring link/reference integrity (removing 404 links)
>
> I did review this. It basically needs a bit more work from Andi around a
> few use cases (specifically, deleting many things at once that may be
> inter-related), but is progressing nicely. topp.rose also needs some
> updating to work with 2.10 but should then be able to slot in nicely, I
> hope.

I noticed that a bit later, see my second post.

> >  PLIP 144 - Generalised Next / Previous navigation
>
> I did review this - it was the very first one! It needs a bit of fairly
> trivial refactoring/clean-up but is otherwise good, imho.

Oops! I'll add it to my list.

> >  PLIP 157 - Content rules engine
>
> Rocky? :)
>
> >  PLIP 173 - OpenID support
>
> Didn't Hanno review this?

He mailed me directly about it with a couple of comments, most of which
I have addressed this week. He did run into a few nasty problems that I
have not been able to reproduce, so there is some work to be done still.
I haven't seen a review posted on the framework list though, that's why
I put it in this list.

> The other thing that's not here is the new workflows that Vincenzo said
> he'd look at. There's no bundle, but it's just a set of new workflows +
> possibly a control panel. This is also quite important - Plone's OOTB
> workflows are a bit narrow :)

Other changes such as new workflows are very welcome as long as they are
not too invasive. But this was just a PLIP review list :)

Wichert.