[Framework-Team] Re: Release roadmap for 3.0

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Thu May 11 13:12:51 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Plone 3.0
>> ---------
>> June 26, plip freeze (no more plip's are accepted)
>
> Do we have such a thing? I mean ... people can write PLIPs whenever they
> want :)

Right, we probably don't need it. I guess I was somehow trying to
preserve my SoC dates ;)

> Do we have any understanding of how long it took us to jump through
> those hoops for 2.5 (at least from alpha to beta, etc. and what our
> projections are))? Or for 2.1? I think the interim time steps look
> reasonable, but it's hard to judge how long it actually takes to get
> enough testing and coding time.

The roadmap is based on our experience with Plone 2.5 and therefore
still optimistic, as 2.5 was quite limited in scope. But I really hope
that our new process will prevent us from getting a 2.1-like roadmap
which would be something like a six months alpha period and a
full-year-long beta period ;)

I should note that I this is nothing more than a proposal and I know
that the decision is made by the release manager (except for the
proposal freeze). But I felt that there are quite some different
opinions out there about the scope of Plone 3.0 and we could more easily
agree on something like a concrete full-blown roadmap instead of just a
proposal freeze or having discussions about the various motives that
influence how we would like the roadmap to look like. It's all about
dates in the end anyways ;)

On top we have to put a message out, so that people know when they
should reserve some time if they want to get features into Plone 3.0 and
for us to have some understanding about the one month where we have to
review all those things and therefore ideally shouldn't be on vacation
all the time or have a client project deadline in the middle of it. Plus
a clear statement for all our users and integrators to plan ahead for
upgrades or when to deploy based on 3.0.

Hanno