[Framework-Team] Re: Re: Organisation of Plone components in Collective and Plone svn

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Tue May 2 10:13:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-05 at 19:20 -0700, Rob Miller wrote:
> On May 1, 2006, at 4:19 PM, Rocky Burt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-02-05 at 01:08 +0200, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> >> To summarize some of the discussion we had on IRC just now, here
> >> is our
> >> current idea, for all those people not spending their life in online
> >> channels ;)
> >>
> >> As an example we used the structure for the contextualhelp product,
> >> which was developed at the sprint:
> >>
> >> This should go into the "http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/" repository
> >> under the name "plone.contextualhelp":
> >>
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src/plone
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src/
> >> plone/contextualhelp
> >>
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/branches
> >> http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/tags
> >>
> >> The trunk folder itself should contain release scripts, like setup.py
> >> and the real source should be in a /src subfolder. It has a plone
> >> subfolder, so it is obvious that to import anything from this package
> >> you have to use "from plone.contextualhelp import *".
> >>
> >> If we can agree on this, we should probably post this to the devel
> >> list
> >> with some more explanation (which can grow into a chapter in the dev
> >> manual ;)
> >
> > +1 to all of this.  Except of course for the line "from
> > plone.contextualhelp import *".  If I see code importing * I will
> > promptly scream :)
>
> i'm okay with most of this, except for the extra 'plone' level in the
> src tree.  it's implied in the plone.contextualhelp directory name,
> IMO, no need for an empty, duplicate folder level.

I'm not sure of all the practical reasoning for requiring the 'plone'
level in the src tree but all the regular python packaging I've seen
that uses a toplevel package does provide that dir in their src
directory so part of this would merely be for consistency's sake.

Look at more of the zope.* whatever pkgs in svn.zope.org and see for
yourself.

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt