[Framework-Team] Re: zope "two visions" info

whit d.w.morriss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:42:23 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:31:06 -0000, Rocky Burt
> <rocky.burt at adaptivewave.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> There's an active thread going on on the zope3 mailing list these past
>> few days regarding the vision of zope 2 and zope 3 started by Jim Fulton
>> where he positions building the next generation app server from zope 2
>> and having zope 3 become a framework/library only.
>
> I've been trying to follow this discussion (though discussions on
> z3-base tend to become ridiculously long). I quite like Joel Moxley's
> idea about shpping Zope 3 CA, and then Zope 3 Server that sits on top
> of the CA. Actually, the way it looks like this is going is simply to
> break Zope 3 into smaller pieces (probably as eggs), from which we
> will be at liberty to choose what we want. At the same time, I'm
> hoping that more pieces of the Zope3-the-appserver will be folded back
> into Zope2.
>
> I think that Jim's "Zope 5" (bad name) idea is basically where we've
> been going with Zope 2.8+ and Five, so I'm not really seeing any cause
> for alarm. I may be missing some subtler points here... but in
> general, more componentisation is probably better as far as I'm conerned.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Martin

first, haven't had time to read the whole thread.  followed the
conversation on z3-base yesterday.  my opinion is the following in a broad strokes:

my view of the discussion:

1. we need to support jim when he pays attention to zope2 development
2. zorp corp et al. investing more in zope 2 can only help us.

my view broadly:

1. having 2 appservers named zope is bad
2. most pure z3 dev people want libs not an appserver
3. most z2 people have there wagons hitched to an appserver(or they wouldn't be doing zope2)

my views on direction (this will sound simplistic):

1. let zope be a namespace
2. converge the two platforms to be one appserver
3. f*ck calling any of it zope ;)

my personal feeling is let zope2 be it's own bw-compat layer by evolving zope the appserver so you can choose to use what you need of it (sort of like using CMF if you need plone, or plone if you need PHC, etc).

-w

 | david "whit" morriss
 |
 | contact :: http://public.xdi.org/=whit

 "If you don't know where you are,