[Framework-Team] Re: zope "two visions" info

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 2 20:04:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:31:06 -0000, Rocky Burt
<rocky.burt at adaptivewave.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> There's an active thread going on on the zope3 mailing list these past
> few days regarding the vision of zope 2 and zope 3 started by Jim Fulton
> where he positions building the next generation app server from zope 2
> and having zope 3 become a framework/library only.

I've been trying to follow this discussion (though discussions on z3-base
tend to become ridiculously long). I quite like Joel Moxley's idea about
shpping Zope 3 CA, and then Zope 3 Server that sits on top of the CA.
Actually, the way it looks like this is going is simply to break Zope 3
into smaller pieces (probably as eggs), from which we will be at liberty
to choose what we want. At the same time, I'm hoping that more pieces of
the Zope3-the-appserver will be folded back into Zope2.

I think that Jim's "Zope 5" (bad name) idea is basically where we've been
going with Zope 2.8+ and Five, so I'm not really seeing any cause for
alarm. I may be missing some subtler points here... but in general, more
componentisation is probably better as far as I'm conerned.

What are your thoughts?

(muted)