[Framework-Team] Re: Names, names and we need a decision

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 13:55:10 UTC 2006

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Daniel Nouri said:
>> Do you agree that we put the documentation in the top-level directory?
>> I.e. INSTALL.txt, README.txt etc.  They shouldn't really go *inside* the
>> package I hear from Ian.  Would also give us less duplication between
>> the plone_app and the plone_core (should we rename?) templates.
>
> I always prefer to have the top-level directory be as clean as possible,
> containing only diretories and essential files.
>
> For documentation that means I personally prefer to put only the bits that
> are essential for a users first encounter with the package in the top level
> directory: the licensing files, simple installation instructions and a
> generic readme. I put all other, more detailed, information in a doc
> subdirectory.

Oops, I actually *meant* a docs/ directory in the top level, like
'PloneExample/docs'.  Although distutils wants a README.txt I think in
the top level 'PloneExample/'.

>> I think that for distribution (project) names we should use names like
>> "PloneExample", rather than "plone.example".
>
> Names containing dots are all the rage though :). I'm not sure if casing in
> names survives all media and hosting services correctly.

I know that the convention is to have distribution names in CamelCase.
It's also nicer to the eyes; you don't want 'plone.form' as the name of
your project in the Cheeseshop.

Daniel