[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 3.0 dates

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 08:00:10 UTC 2006

Alexander Limi wrote:

> +100. It can't be timed the way it is currently suggested, nothing will
> be ready by that measure.

Also note that we the framework team probably need 2-4 weeks just to
look at the bundles and make some initial assessment. If we're going to
be merging them one month after bundle date... :)

I still think an end-of-August bundle date is good. But the longer we
discuss this, the more we have to push it back.

I'd say a decent measure is to give people one month from when we start
announcing and pushing dates to get bundles in order, and set the right
expectations for how complete a bundle must be.

The end goal is actually quite simple - make sure we can get stable code
into Plone 3.0. Work backwards from that, and let people plead their
case on how much time they have, when, and how much remains, and we can
take a decision.

But we need to give them some time, since at least I would be much more
motivated to push forward with some code if I knew there was a good
chance it'd land in 3.0 (it's been reviewed and accepted in principle)
than if it was all just unsure (maybe the framework team don't even want
it in 3.0, finished or not?). We can't expect that people will produce
stellar code in isolation without our guidance and encouragement. :)