[Framework-Team] Re: Names, names and we need a decision

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 21:17:28 UTC 2006

Daniel Nouri wrote:
> whit wrote:
>> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> Hi Hanno,
>>>
>>> I'm happy to write the plone / plone.app announcement, and I can
>>> write the bit about guidelines for when to use them. However, I'm not
>>> too sure how we do the svn organisation.
>>>
>>>  - are we recommending people use ZopeSkel?
>> cautious but enthusiastic non-fwt +1 here?  I'm hoping now that topp
>> has Ian Bicking aboard we may have a chance of getting some expert
>> cycles to resolve the skeletor/paste/zc.buildout/instancemanager
>> overlap. but for creating basic stub skeletons ZopeSkel seems like the
>> simplest starting point though.  I need to look at it again though;
>> would we also need a ploneskel?
>
> ZopeSkel is an easily extensible *collection* of skeletons for Zope
> projects (Plone projects included).  It has currently two skeletons for
> Plone, the plone_core and the plone2_theme (=DIYPloneStyle) skeleton.
> Get the latest SVN version
>
>     easy_install ZopeSkel==dev
>
> and look at the list of templates
>
>     paster create --list-templates
>
> and
>
>     paster create --help
>
> Ian looked at it and he had some suggestions (like putting docs like
> INSTALL.txt etc. into a top-level doc/ directory instead of in the
> package itself).  ZopeSkel has a very small and clear goal.
> instancemanager and zc.buildout do something completely different, and
> skeletor is in between.

Do we have (or could we create) some very
for-new-developers-and-optilude documentation on how exactly people
install this, run this, and then get it into svn in the right way?

We need to be able to point people at that before we can tell them to
use that package structure. I'd rather say "use this tool's structure"
rather than describe a structure in detail, though!