[Framework-Team] [Fwd: Re: Plone 3.0 dates]

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Thu Jul 27 10:58:40 UTC 2006

(Repost as the message didn't seem to get through...)

Hi.

Our busy time seems to start ;)

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Alexander Limi wrote:
>> Hi Framework Team,
>>
>> We haven't seen any official dates for PLIP freeze, bundles,
>> alpha/beta/RC/final from you yet for 3.0.
>>
>> Can you see if you can get some dates down asap, so we can start
>> communicating them to people?

The most current proposal for a roadmap is this one:

Plone 3.0
---------
August 21, proposal freeze (review bundles must be ready)
September 25, feature freeze (all features have been merged)
October 22, first beta release
December 18, first release candidate
January 24, expected release

The main problem with this roadmap is that some of us had a discussion
on IRC and we felt that the dates are far too soon. Right now nobody
really thinks about Plone 3.0 or puts any time in it, we aren't really
putting any time into Plone 2.5 right now either... we cannot seriously
stop accepting features in four weeks.

The result of our little IRC discussion was that we wanted to shift all
those dates two month back. With the PloneConf at the end of October it
might make more sense to only push the deadlines back one month, so we
would have a feature freeze right before PloneConf which would give Limi
the option to actually talk about the new shiny features of 3.0 in his
Keynote ;)

If we would aim for the one-month-back option we would have another
eight weeks until proposal freeze.

Actually I'm not sure what the better option is here and think we need
some discussion before proposing anything. Which leads to the next
problem that we are only meant to propose those dates to the release
manager for Plone 3.0 who hasn't been found yet AFAIK.

Sorry, but this time I can only point out more problems and cannot offer
a solution ;)

Hanno