[Framework-Team] Names, names and we need a decision

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Wed Jul 26 09:23:17 UTC 2006

Hi.

I think all arguments have been raised in the naming discussion (cubed
vs plone vs plone.app vs plone.cms).

As the informal voting process on the developers mailing list hasn't
resulted in any clear vote or even direction, I think it is time for us
to step in and make the decision, as already pointed out in Rocky's
first mail on the topic.

There has been agreement on the idea of dividing generally reusable and
Plone (the CMS) specific components by using different namespaces for
them. The only remaining question now is how to name those two namespaces.

We have three proposals which all have gotten some positive votes:

The first name is the one used for reusable components and the second
one for Plone CMS specific ones.

1. cubed / plone
2. plone / plone.app
3. plone / plone.cms

In the first case there's still the option to use a different name than
cubed which we should only talk about if option 1 wins, as finding good
names takes even more time then deciding upon names and we don't want to
loose too much time over this.

If nobody disagrees with anything in general I would like to get simple
-1/0/+1 votes for all of the three alternatives. The option with the
highest positive number should obviously win. If we don't get a clear
result I would let Martin as our elected spokesperson decide between the
two (or three) alternatives with the highest votes.

My vote is:

-0 1. cubed / plone
0 2. plone / plone.app
+1 3. plone / plone.cms