[Framework-Team] Plone core developer manual

whit d.w.morriss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:16:25 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A while ago, I started this reference manual
> http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-developer-reference

w00t!  I'm not sure alan got your reference into the appropriate place,
but the intention was to put this and similar info into
plone.org/developers .   And all of you should have access to extend and
edit this section of the website.
> The intention was to make a single places for Plone core developers to
> find the information they need on how to contribute, and how they
> should be coding. The idea was to cover three things:
>
>  1. How do I contribute to Plone? How do I write a PLIP, make a review
> bundle, get access to svn etc.
>
>  2. How do I write Plone code? Things like unit testing, migrations,
> coding style etc.
this will be very important in the near term, since best practices of
the last 2 + years are going to be changing a bit.

>  3. Explanation of some of the Plone specifics that are non-trivial to
> understand by simply skimming the code, like the
> ExtensibleIndexableObjectWrapper, the BrowserDefault jungle, portal
> setup etc.
>
> Now, 1. is covered in part at http://plone.org/development/info/ and
> http://plone.org/development/dev-summary.
>
> I think some of the above needs to be refactored a little. I'd like to
> have a distinction between overview-style documentation (e.g. what is
> a bug day, what is a sprint) from the specifics (how do I use Plone
> svn etc.). The overview in the dev-summary document, which covers
> third party developers as well, ought to stay where it is. However,
> some of the specifics in the various documents under /info would
> probably slot better into a real manual. I think giving people more
> focused documentation (that's part of the documentation area) would
> make it easier for people to contribute.
>
> What do you guys think? I'm hoping to have some time to put into this
> in the next few days and weeks, and I'm hoping other will want to help
> as well.

If you guys are up to it, it's a definite need.  I would encourage you
to also look at the process and technology you are documenting and think
"If I was a new developer, would this seem sensible and easy, or
overwhelming?"   The answer to that question might be the ground for new
PLIPs (for instance, BrowserDefault and EIOW could both benefit from
using the CA rather than their old school component approach).

also, you guys need to pick a mouthpiece responsible for representing
the group and then I can make a grand announcement of your existence.

-w

--

 | david "whit" morriss
 |
 | contact :: http://public.xdi.org/=whit