[Framework-Team] Plone core developer manual

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Feb 12 14:56:44 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

A while ago, I started this reference manual
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-developer-reference

The intention was to make a single places for Plone core developers to
find the information they need on how to contribute, and how they should
be coding. The idea was to cover three things:

  1. How do I contribute to Plone? How do I write a PLIP, make a review
bundle, get access to svn etc.

  2. How do I write Plone code? Things like unit testing, migrations,
coding style etc.

  3. Explanation of some of the Plone specifics that are non-trivial to
understand by simply skimming the code, like the
ExtensibleIndexableObjectWrapper, the BrowserDefault jungle, portal setup
etc.

Now, 1. is covered in part at http://plone.org/development/info/ and
http://plone.org/development/dev-summary.

I think some of the above needs to be refactored a little. I'd like to
have a distinction between overview-style documentation (e.g. what is a
bug day, what is a sprint) from the specifics (how do I use Plone svn
etc.). The overview in the dev-summary document, which covers third party
developers as well, ought to stay where it is. However, some of the
specifics in the various documents under /info would probably slot better
into a real manual. I think giving people more focused documentation
(that's part of the documentation area) would make it easier for people to
contribute.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping to have some time to put into this in
the next few days and weeks, and I'm hoping other will want to help as
well.

(muted)