[Framework-Team] plone.app.* or plone.* for things with Z2, CMF and Archetypes dependencies?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon Dec 11 14:50:01 UTC 2006

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Daniel pointed out that it's a bit odd for Archetypes to depend on
> plone.app (Plone-the-application) and really, plone.app.locking is not
> Plone app specific. It is also not "pure Zope 3", though.

Is the Zope 2 dependency an implementation detail or as an inherint part
of its design?

> What is the best naming convention in this case? Should plone.app.* be
> only for Plone-the-application specific things, and thus plone.* is
> allowed to have Zope 2, CMF and/or Archetypes dependencies (with an
> aim to minimise, obviously)? Or should we have another package,
> plone.z2 or something? Or should we just let plone.app.* mean
> Zope2-specific rather than Plone-the-application specific?

I'ld say plone.app.* means Plone-the-application specific. I don't have
any problems with dependencies in plone.*. Every python package will
have some dependency, and often dependencies are just implementation
details which can change over time.

Wichert.