[Framework-Team] Re: Re: Re: Zope 3 widgets in Plone [was: Re: 3.0-alpha1 is out.. and now]

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Fri Dec 1 17:22:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-12 at 15:15 -0200, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> I, too, believe the Plone commnunity should be building formlib-based
> widgets. But we have to be careful on our steps. Just saying that we
> won't support Archetypes widgets 'because people might keep building
> them' is shooting ourselves in the foot.

Yep, I can see some sense in that.

> In the long term, if we do provide clear documentation about building
> formlib widgets people *will* do that. If not for the
> future-proofness, because building formlib widgets is easier and less
> magical (it is easier right? :).

Hehe, yep.

> It's not a matter of differing opinions here. We both want to reach
> the same goal! The only difference is that you want the
> 'revolutionary' approach. I want the 'evolutionary' approach. People
> are afraid of big changes. If we change too fast we will give people
> the impression that Plone is not a stable platform, no matter how cool
> it is to use formlib or whatnot.

Yeah, I guess I'm just a little tired of the standard
evolutionary-but-takes-3-years approach to this sort of thing.  But I
certainly do see the value in evolutionary.  We don't want to scare
existing developers away because we changed the rug to a concrete floor
beneath them.

> Even if we did manage to rewrite all the widgets using formlib we
> would still have to provide the compatibility for applications until
> everyone updates their products. And that's not one or two, the list
> of products in the Collective is enormous.

Indeed.

> There are existing ways for prodding people into using the cool latest
> technology and we've been achieving that by the use of 'deprecation'
> mechanisms. There's no reason why widgets should be treated
> differently.

Right, again I'll just add I'm annoyed by the slowness ;)

> In the end I believe our two approaches can and *need* to cohexist
> safely. We need to get traction on getting formlib widgets and at the
> same time we need to provide a compatibility layer to give everyone a
> chance to reach the 'next level'.

Yep I can go along with this.  Both ways would make it work well for
everyone and scare fewer people :)

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt