[Framework-Team] Re: Zope 3 widgets in Plone [was: Re: 3.0-alpha1 is out.. and now]

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Fri Dec 1 16:50:38 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Rocky Burt <rocky at serverzen.com> wrote:
> > Well, I'm going the other way around. I've wrote an adapter for AT
> > Widgets so that they implement IWidget. A secondary goal of mine was
> > to write an adapter to AT Fields to implement IField. And then we
> > could use AT stuff unmodified with formlib. With not too much effort I
> > still believe that's doable.
>
> I was avoiding that direction on purpose.  Building widgets in a nice
> clean zope3 way and then writing an archetypes compatiblity layer would
> help BBB.  Building widgets in AT style and providing a formlib
> compatiblity layer means people will continue writing archetypes
> widgets :(

I'm sorry but I disagree. We would have to stop and put a big amount
of effort up to getting all the widgets ported to Z3. We can't afford
that time and effort. If we do bridge the AT Widgets to Z3 we can
start using formlib right away. And then we can re-write the widgets,
one at a time, correctly and avoiding previous mistakes *and* keeping
backward compatibility with existing tools (AGX) and documentation
(including books). If we just rush ahead and try to do it all at once
we risk ending up with a similar mess to what we have today, only with
a nicer name.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214