[Framework-Team] Re: Let sleeping PLIPs lie...

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Aug 22 20:59:21 UTC 2006

>>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/116 (AJAX dep)
>>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/163 (AJAX dep)
>>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/124 (AJAX dep)
>> All of these are fairly obvious. There will naturally be tweaking and
>> iterations of the implementation, but I think that these types of
>> improvements can sometimes be done on trunk rather than in branches
>> where they either would affect several other branches (e.g. a new widget
>> that several new features may need) or where they are straightforward
>> and/or easily reversible (e.g. a template change can be reverted without
>> serious dependency breakage).
>>
>> Let's see what does come in time for the deadline, but if some of these
>> don't, I'd be +1 to seeing them done afterwards *provided* that the beta
>> and RC deadlines are taken seriously!
>
> They'll have to be done reasonably early in the alphas I think.

+1 - I think if we are pragmatic about risk and benefit, we shouldn't
have too much trouble.

>> Pragmatically speaking, as Limi points out, it's also a bit unfair to
>> penalise these PLIPs when we haven't got the AJAX story sorted out yet.
>> There is still too much uncertainty to start on any of these in earnest.
>
> Agreed.

+1

>>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/176 (visual redesign pending)
>> If this is too invasive, it may be a bit risky and impact a lot of other
>> PLIPs. If the changes are relatively minor or gradual, they may be OK.
>> This sounds like branch work, though. :)
>
> It's incredibly vague so we can't judge this one. Do we have any idea
> when this might start to become clearer?

Agree. No ideas when this may happen, and I don't think it's a major
problem if it doesn't make it for 3.0 either. Let's wait and see what
comes out of Limi and Alma, and then we can judge.

> Code-wide it should be fairly low impact though, so it can be developed
> on a branch or on a seperate product and merged when we feel it's ready.

True. It's just one of those things that'd be incredibly nice to put on
a release announcement.