[Framework-Team] Re: Let sleeping PLIPs lie...

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Aug 22 20:12:27 UTC 2006

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/117 (AJAX dep)
> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/116 (AJAX dep)
> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/163 (AJAX dep)
> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/124 (AJAX dep)
>
> All of these are fairly obvious. There will naturally be tweaking and
> iterations of the implementation, but I think that these types of
> improvements can sometimes be done on trunk rather than in branches
> where they either would affect several other branches (e.g. a new widget
> that several new features may need) or where they are straightforward
> and/or easily reversible (e.g. a template change can be reverted without
> serious dependency breakage).
>
> Let's see what does come in time for the deadline, but if some of these
> don't, I'd be +1 to seeing them done afterwards *provided* that the beta
> and RC deadlines are taken seriously!

They'll have to be done reasonably early in the alphas I think.

> Pragmatically speaking, as Limi points out, it's also a bit unfair to
> penalise these PLIPs when we haven't got the AJAX story sorted out yet.
> There is still too much uncertainty to start on any of these in earnest.

Agreed.

> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/176 (visual redesign pending)
>
> If this is too invasive, it may be a bit risky and impact a lot of other
> PLIPs. If the changes are relatively minor or gradual, they may be OK.
> This sounds like branch work, though. :)

It's incredibly vague so we can't judge this one. Do we have any idea
when this might start to become clearer?

> >A special one is:
> >http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/134 (too important to be
> >dropped, needs champion - also relatively easy to do)
>
> We need a champion for this, badly. It's an important feature, and I've
> seen a lot of users confused by the lack of editor/viewer local role
> management on the sharing page. It's also relatively straightforward, it
> just needs a person in charge. :-(

Code-wide it should be fairly low impact though, so it can be developed
on a branch or on a seperate product and merged when we feel it's ready.

Wichert.