[Framework-Team] Re: Re: Re: Zope versions

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Apr 17 09:56:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:57:18 +0100, alan runyan
<runyaga at runyaga.com> wrote:

> With regards to the installers.  I can tell you that Enfold Systems *does
> not* have the bandwidth (right now) to deliver a 2.9 installer for Plone
> 2.5.  We are looking at converging our commercial and the community
> product
> using .msi/wix but this will take us time.  The problem is with Python
> 2.4.x
> and having to recompile all binary dependencies.  I would suggest (take
> it
> with a grain of salt):
>
>   - 2.5 ships with Zope 2.8.x installers (by default) and Python 2.3.x
>
>   - People are allowed to create 2.5 w/ Zope 2.9.x installers (consider
> these "experimental")
>
>   - Plone 3.0 ships with Zope 2.10 and Python 2.4.x or 2.5.x (offical)
>
> There is an installers list and I would start lobbying the installer
> maintainers.  Before coming up with any proclamation.
> Its also important to look towards the OSX crowd to see how easy it is.
> Try
> to get some consensus if the people maintaining these installers will
> have a
> hard time porting to newer Python.

Thanks for bringing this up Alan. It would be a shame if our decision on
what Zope version to ship with were dictated by whether the installer
people had time and capacity, but hopefully we'll manage to find someone
to roll an appropriate installer if we do want to ship with 2.8.

Is 2.9 significantly harder to bundle than 2.8 then?

(muted)