[Framework-Team] Re: Our attititude to Archetypes

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Tue Apr 11 18:07:03 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> In a way it feels unclean and a bit dangerous if our goal is to lighten up or
> even move away from Archetypes. However, it's also a good thing. AT is an
> insulation layer. It's ubiquitous and unifies the API to content types.

for a while i was keen on the idea of replacing AT, componentizing it
out until there wasn't any there there, eventually replacing the
components with other pieces.

i'm still not against that idea, but i've recently come back around to
the possibility that AT might be salvageable.  if it gets broken up into
little bits, and the worst stuff is made better, then we may just find
ourselves with something that is not so bad to work with, w/o feeling so
strong a need to have to make it die completely.

anyway, in either event, the first steps are to break it apart into
pieces, using the CA to thread it together.  this is going to take a
while; it won't be until Plone 3.0 that any of it lands, and it probably
won't be until Plone 3.5 that a large percentage of it lands.  that's
over a year away, and a lot can change in that time.  i recommend we
continue our current path of working on taking it apart, and let the
process unfold as we do.

-r