[Framework-Team] Re: Zope versions

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Apr 9 22:42:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:30:51 +0100, Hanno Schlichting  
<plone at hannosch.info> wrote:

> Well, Zope 2.8 vs. 2.9 is a special case, as it is really Zope X3.0 vs.
> 3.2, which is a 0.2 step and at least one year of extra development.

True. But Zope 3 refactors a lot, and moves very fast. We may be biting  
off more than we can chew even between one-step versions, which will be  
backwards compatible, but spew deprecation warnings.

> Right now I'm actually +1 on changing the recommend platform for Plone
> 2.5 to Zope 2.9 and including this in the installers. My main argument
> here is that we want to advertise using new development strategies based
> on Zope3. But if we get people to start with Zope X3.0 lots of what they
> do is not only deprecated but actually removed in current Zope3. So I
> wouldn't want to advertise this. If I currently work on something
> depending on Zope3, I look in the Zope 2.9 version first and after I
> have it working there, I look if it works on Zope 2.8 as well. This kind
> of practice is something we cannot seriously communicate. And after all
> Plone 2.5 is a infrastructure release ;)

I completely agree with you. I think limi was the original one concerned,  
and he seems to think it would be OK (ask him though) so long as a tested  
and stable Zope release was out (which normally means a pointrelease or  
two). Alec I think is in the same boat.

>> What version will Zope be at when the 3.0 release date is hit?
> Quoting from my unanswered earlier mail about release dates:
> Zope
> ----
> March 2006, 2.9.2
> July 2006, 2.10
> November 2006, 2.11
> May 2007, 2.12
> As we havn't discussed the release date of Plone 3.0 so far I assume the
> preliminary mentioned on plone.org/roadmap is still valid which is late
> September. So by this time we should be able to rely on Zope 2.10.

I hope so too. I think we need to adopt a wait-and-see approach, but it  
seems a good thing to aim for.

> I wouldn't want to make the decision on whether or not we are dropping
> support for Zope 2.9 for Plone 3.0 but decide it based on the features
> we might get this way. If we have a PLIP that requires Zope 2.10, so be
> it ;)
> Right now my idea for Plone 3.0 is to recommend Zope 2.10 and support
> Zope 2.9.

+1, but again, I think pragmatism should win. That is, I'm not quite so  
worried about telling people to upgrade, especially if we ship one version  
with all the installers.



More information about the Framework-Team mailing list