[Framework-Team] Re: Zope versions

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Apr 9 22:42:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:30:51 +0100, Hanno Schlichting
<plone at hannosch.info> wrote:

> Well, Zope 2.8 vs. 2.9 is a special case, as it is really Zope X3.0 vs.
> 3.2, which is a 0.2 step and at least one year of extra development.

True. But Zope 3 refactors a lot, and moves very fast. We may be biting
off more than we can chew even between one-step versions, which will be
backwards compatible, but spew deprecation warnings.

> Right now I'm actually +1 on changing the recommend platform for Plone
> 2.5 to Zope 2.9 and including this in the installers. My main argument
> here is that we want to advertise using new development strategies based
> on Zope3. But if we get people to start with Zope X3.0 lots of what they
> do is not only deprecated but actually removed in current Zope3. So I
> wouldn't want to advertise this. If I currently work on something
> depending on Zope3, I look in the Zope 2.9 version first and after I
> have it working there, I look if it works on Zope 2.8 as well. This kind
> of practice is something we cannot seriously communicate. And after all
> Plone 2.5 is a infrastructure release ;)

I completely agree with you. I think limi was the original one concerned,
and he seems to think it would be OK (ask him though) so long as a tested
and stable Zope release was out (which normally means a pointrelease or
two). Alec I think is in the same boat.

>> What version will Zope be at when the 3.0 release date is hit?
>
> Quoting from my unanswered earlier mail about release dates:
>
> Zope
> ----
> March 2006, 2.9.2
> July 2006, 2.10
> November 2006, 2.11
> May 2007, 2.12
>
> As we havn't discussed the release date of Plone 3.0 so far I assume the
> preliminary mentioned on plone.org/roadmap is still valid which is late
> September. So by this time we should be able to rely on Zope 2.10.

I hope so too. I think we need to adopt a wait-and-see approach, but it
seems a good thing to aim for.

> I wouldn't want to make the decision on whether or not we are dropping
> support for Zope 2.9 for Plone 3.0 but decide it based on the features
> we might get this way. If we have a PLIP that requires Zope 2.10, so be
> it ;)
>
> Right now my idea for Plone 3.0 is to recommend Zope 2.10 and support
> Zope 2.9.

+1, but again, I think pragmatism should win. That is, I'm not quite so
worried about telling people to upgrade, especially if we ship one version
with all the installers.

(muted)