[Framework-Team] Menus

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Apr 9 21:08:07 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

The viewlet craze started because I wanted to investigate pluggable UIs,
but was actually mostly driven by the fact that I hate the monolithic
ugliness that is global_contentmenu.pt. Now, a viewlet is basically just a
free-form HTML snippet (the examples all return them as strings in Python,
ouch). A viewlet sits in a viewlet manager, which another html-producing
thing that knows how to aggregate viewlets (do you put each inside a div
or a span, basically).

The contentmenu wouldn't benefit from any such thing. We want to have
menus, with common markup. We don't want people to shove an h1 in there.
:) However, menus are by definition context dependent, and are (via
actions for the content tabs) in the rest of Plone.

I'd like to PLIP before the Archipelago sprint something like this:

  - global_contentmenu.pt uses a view @@content_menu that builds all that
nastiness and does all the conditionals.

  - the main part of that will be something that just loops over a tuple of
IContentMenu objects that list IContentMenuItem objects:

class IContentMenu(Interface):
   id = Attribute('The id of the menu')
   before = Attribute('The id this menu should be rendered before, or None')
   title = Attribute('The title displayed')
   i18n_key = Attribute('The i18n key of the menu')
   children = Attribute('An ordered list of children of this menu, all
should be IContentMenuItem')
   fallbackUrl Attribute('The url to use if JavaScript is disabled')

class IContentMenuItem(Interface):
   id = Attribute('The id of the menu item')
   title = Attribute('The title displayed')
   icon = Attribute('The path to an icon to render')
   url = Attribute('The URL to link to')

okay, you get the idea - lightweight objects that are assembled in the
view and thus can be displayed generically: loop over the menus, and for
each, loop over the menu items.

  - The view builds these menus by adapting the context to an
IContentMenuProvider that returns an appropriately ordered set of
IContentMenu items (using their 'before' attribute, which lets a menu say
"I want to be before the display menu", for example). The default
implementation of this should look up all utilities implementing
IContentMenuProvider (or some secondary interface if that makes more
sense) and aggregate the menus they contain. The idea is that you can
register a site-global menu (or one that conditionally is displayed) by
registering a (local) utility, whilst you can totally override all the
menus by providing a different adapter (or you could do both - provide a
new adapter that calls the base class behaviour and adds some of its own
menus).

Does this sound like a sensible idea?

(muted)