[Framework-Team] Re: Viewlets

whit d.w.morriss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 18:09:24 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 05:40:48 +0100, whit <d.w.morriss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> considering we are jumping from 2.5 -> 3.0, we have some play.
>>
>> there is no reason that there can't be releases in between 2.5 and 3.0.
>> Let's use those numbers to get ourselves back in sync with the rest of
>> our stack.  depending on when thing fall, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9 could
>> serve as a way to ease onto CMF2.0, zope 2.10, AT1.4 & 1.5, Five 1.5,
>> etc.
>
> I'm not sure where this came from... 3.0 has a release date and a plan
> that doesn't allow for a four more releases to be completed and tested
> in time. I think it's extemely unlikely we'll see a Plone 2.6 or a
> Plone 2.7 unless someone seriously commits to doing the needed
> integration work and manages that release. Each release cycle brings
> with it serious overheads of betas, rcs, bug days, migration work etc.

I'm not an expert at release management, but it seems that how serious
the overhead would depend on how serious the changes to plone need to be
to make them run on the new stack layers. at some point, someone will
have to commit to doing this work, and it would be better to be before
said stack layer is approaching unsupported obsolescence.  I'm not
saying that it will necessarily be expedient between now and the release
of 3.0, I'm just saying the numbers are there, and we can use them to
pad the way to things that might suit the 3.0 release best.

free unspoken for numbers if we happen to need them.   but this is a
divergent topic.

> Which brings us back to the original point. If Plone 3.0 is supposed
> to be an end-user experience focused release, part of that is to make
> sure that third party products can integrate well into the Plone UI
> without having to override major templates like global_contentmenu or,
> worse, main_template. I *want* to see
> classification/taxonomy/ontology/tagging/whatever in a way that's
> generic and usable, and I want to make it possible for products like
> LinguaPlone and CMFEditions to inject things into the Plone UI without
> that having to be un ugly hack.

which brings up back to viewlets...
> I'm happy to support Zope 2.10 only in 3.0 if that's stable and out
> the door, though (not that it's my call).
>
> For our current use cases, the main use of viewlets will be to render
> them - the update phases are probably less interesting for now. We
> *may* be able to support a trade-off where we use the viewlet API but
> support only rendering. I'm not sure yet, though - we really need to
> speak to someone (Stephan Richter?) who knows how viewlets work a
> little better.
or trying implementing a couple.

-w

--