[Framework-Team] Re: Viewlets

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Apr 8 11:56:55 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 05:40:48 +0100, whit
<d.w.morriss at gmail.com> wrote:

> considering we are jumping from 2.5 -> 3.0, we have some play.
>
> there is no reason that there can't be releases in between 2.5 and 3.0.
> Let's use those numbers to get ourselves back in sync with the rest of
> our stack.  depending on when thing fall, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9 could
> serve as a way to ease onto CMF2.0, zope 2.10, AT1.4 & 1.5, Five 1.5,
> etc.

I'm not sure where this came from... 3.0 has a release date and a plan
that doesn't allow for a four more releases to be completed and tested in
time. I think it's extemely unlikely we'll see a Plone 2.6 or a Plone 2.7
unless someone seriously commits to doing the needed integration work and
manages that release. Each release cycle brings with it serious overheads
of betas, rcs, bug days, migration work etc.

Which brings us back to the original point. If Plone 3.0 is supposed to be
an end-user experience focused release, part of that is to make sure that
third party products can integrate well into the Plone UI without having
to override major templates like global_contentmenu or, worse,
main_template. I *want* to see
classification/taxonomy/ontology/tagging/whatever in a way that's generic
and usable, and I want to make it possible for products like LinguaPlone
and CMFEditions to inject things into the Plone UI without that having to
be un ugly hack.

I'm happy to support Zope 2.10 only in 3.0 if that's stable and out the
door, though (not that it's my call).

For our current use cases, the main use of viewlets will be to render them
- the update phases are probably less interesting for now. We *may* be
able to support a trade-off where we use the viewlet API but support only
rendering. I'm not sure yet, though - we really need to speak to someone
(Stephan Richter?) who knows how viewlets work a little better.

(muted)