[Framework-Team] Viewlets

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Sat Apr 8 04:17:39 UTC 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 8:54 PM, whit wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm thinking about several things I'd like to enable in Plone 3.0,
>> and the concept of using viewlets is really attractive. For
>> example, the contentmenu (the green one, with actions and state
>> and add item): It's impossible to add a new drop-down without
>> overriding the entire thing. In general, this could be solved by
>> having the whole menu be rendered as a viewlet manager, with each
>> menu provided by a viewlet. You could then register new viewlets
>> to get new menus.
>>
>> I've only read through the READMEs of zope.contentprovider (http://
>> svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/contentprovider/README.txt?
>> rev=66018&view=markup) and zope.viewlet (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/
>> trunk/src/zope/viewlet/README.txt?rev=41173&view=auto), and
>> probably should do so again.
>>
>> I wanted to ask, though, if any of you have got some experience
>> with viewlets and would like to discuss it further? In particular,
>> we need to work out whether we could:
>>
>>  - use them in 3.0  directly (unlikely, since it requires a
>> provides: TAL namespace, which probably requires the Zope 3.x TAL
>> implementation that may or may not land in Zope 2.10)
> +1. this is the right thing to do.  it might require more work but
> until it's been tried and tracer bullets have been fired,
> everything else is a premature hack.  I realize this isn't much of
> a way to start discussion, but personally I think investigation is
> more important at this point.
>
> philikon said he would add it in  in Five 1.5 if someone did the
> work.  maybe by plone 3 we can actually release on the current
> version of Zope, and I believe that the zope3 tal engine will be in
> 2.10.

Plone 2.5 will support the most current version of Zope, unless
there's been a 2.10 release that i missed somewhere.

i'm +1 on using viewlets for this, but i don't think we'll be able to
do it by relying on the zope 3 TAL implementation.  especially not if
we're going to continue our current policy of supporting two major
Zope revisions, in which case we'll have to straddle 2.9 and 2.10 w/
3.0.

-r