[Framework-Team] Viewlets

whit d.w.morriss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 03:54:57 UTC 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm thinking about several things I'd like to enable in Plone 3.0, and
> the concept of using viewlets is really attractive. For example, the
> contentmenu (the green one, with actions and state and add item): It's
> impossible to add a new drop-down without overriding the entire thing.
> In general, this could be solved by having the whole menu be rendered
> as a viewlet manager, with each menu provided by a viewlet. You could
> then register new viewlets to get new menus.
>
> I've only read through the READMEs of zope.contentprovider
> (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/contentprovider/README.txt?rev=66018&view=markup)
> and zope.viewlet
> (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/viewlet/README.txt?rev=41173&view=auto),
> and probably should do so again.
>
> I wanted to ask, though, if any of you have got some experience with
> viewlets and would like to discuss it further? In particular, we need
> to work out whether we could:
>
>  - use them in 3.0  directly (unlikely, since it requires a provides:
> TAL namespace, which probably requires the Zope 3.x TAL implementation
> that may or may not land in Zope 2.10)
+1. this is the right thing to do.  it might require more work but until
it's been tried and tracer bullets have been fired, everything else is a
premature hack.  I realize this isn't much of a way to start discussion,
but personally I think investigation is more important at this point.

philikon said he would add it in  in Five 1.5 if someone did the work.
maybe by plone 3 we can actually release on the current version of Zope,
and I believe that the zope3 tal engine will be in 2.10.

-w

--

 | david "whit" morriss
 |
 | contact :: http://public.xdi.org/=whit