[Framework-Team] New PLIP

whit whit at longnow.org
Thu Oct 13 19:23:49 UTC 2005

Sidnei da Silva wrote:

>I have mostly finished the first draft of the PLIP dealing with
>'subsites' as discussed with Paul.
>
>https://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/110
>
>Why this is important? Because most large profile sites require this
>functionality, and we keep implementing it over and over, having to
>monkey patch the guts of Plone to make it work and suffering lots of
>pain each new version.

this is a thorny one, since I think 99% of what needs to happen needs to
happen outside of plone.   But, it is the fundamental architectural
piece needed for groupware(and along with versioning, one of the two
last big things missing in plone).  So many hacks and products have been
spawned to handle this(Teamspaces, InnerPlone, SubPlone, GroupSpaces,
the Enfold staging suite, the BRC zpatterns/PloneFolder hack, etc etc).

I think we should get this wheel right for the last time in this half
decade. Two points for discussion, consideration(sidnei, with your
permission, I will repost to plone-devel)

1. Jim is the first to point out that the implementation of sites in z3
could be simpler.  Since this will eventually become not only the focus
for subsite, but for all non-global behavior, we might be feeling alot
more pain if we rush our personal
subsite suite onto the current site implementation.

I think it is worth investing time on this to make it as simple, clear
and solid as possible.

2.  Everything that has to do with catalog, request, portal_url or
anything else not exclusively plone needs to go into CMF or zope.  I
would argue things like the nav tree and breadcrumbs fall in this
category too.  I would argue any feature that shows up in more than 2
CMF derivatives ought to be at least considered for CMFDefault.

Componentizing is the best way to push down and to componentizing tools,
we need to change getToolByName at the CMF level so we can start
deprecating the portal root as a tool dumping ground.   To sanely
migrate to local utilities from tools, #1 has to be working sanely.

Rather than introducing a subsite concept, it would make more sense to
decompose the site concept into something more malleable, decoupling the
CMFSite or PloneSite type from the siteish behavior.   The essence of
this is the local configuration of utilities and adapters and the
ability to delegate up the chain.

more later,

-w

--