[Framework-Team] Re: getting rid of goldegg branch

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 4 00:22:37 UTC 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 04:46 pm, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> >i'd like to get rid of it, since it doesn't really to serve any useful
> >purpose having this work separate from the trunk, outside of potentially
> >making merging headaches latter. right now outside of goldegg all the
> >development work is being done on the 2.1 branch, so its seems alot
> >easier to just do the work directly on trunk. i'd suggest we merge plone
> >goldegg branch to trunk, and start merging selected items back from the
> >2.1 branch to trunk.
> >
> >kapil
>
> I'm +1 on this after talking about to Sidnei who is also for it.  Kapil,
> are you willing to do the merging?  I'm woefully ignorant of these things.
>
> Thunderbird rocks.

I think that trunk may be out of date.  I was under the impression that the
policy for plone's trunk was that it contains a snapshot of the last released
version, rather than being a place for active development.  Perhaps it would
be better to copy 2.1 branch or trunk into a 2.2 branch and merge the goldegg
stuff in there.  I'm all for this, as long as the goldegg stuff is currently
in a working state with all tests passing.  In general, I think we should
avoid developing new features directly on the main release branch; instead,
we should be developing new functionality on dedicated branches and merging
it into the main branch when it becomes stable.  However, this is all policy
stuff to be determined by the 2.2 release manager, whoever he/she is.

Alec